This quick version of a Croque Madame makes a tasty supper or brunch. It's the egg that makes it a 'Madame', otherwise it would just be a 'Monsieur', and you know how we like to add poached eggs to everything...
The traditional way to make a Croque Madame is with a bechamel sauce instead of grated cheese, but when you have speedy eggs like Yolk Folk poached eggs, you need a speedy filling!
For one sandwich you will need;
- 2 slices of bread
- 60g butter
- 2 slices of ham
- 50g grated Gruyere cheese (or other cheese if you prefer)
- 1 Yolk Folk poached egg
What you need to do;
1. Butter the slices of bread using half of the butter.
2. The buttered sides will become the outside of the sandwich, so place the two buttered sides together and lay the sliced ham on top.
3. Sprinkle the cheese over the ham.
4. Warm a frying pan over a medium heat and add the remaining butter.
5. Place the loaded slice of bread butter side down into the pan and then lay the second slice on top, butter side up.
6. Watch it carefully until it's golden brown and carefully flip over to cook the other side.
7. Take the Yolk Folk poached egg out of it's packaging, place on a microwaveable plate then microwave for 20 seconds.
8. Once the second side is golden, remove from the pan, top with the egg and enjoy!
Why not replace the ham with cooked garlicky mushrooms for a vegetarian version, or sliced tomatoes if you're not keen on mushrooms? Let us know your favourite versions because we love to experiment with different flavours.
If you like this quick supper dish, why not try our Shakshuka with Yolk Folk poached eggs?