Summer is here and our thoughts are turning to salads. Not just the boring green leaf, cucumber, tomato ones. We like salads with a bit of life in them!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
So why not try this Panzanella style salad?
For one salad you'll need;
2 slices of slightly stale bread (focaccia or ciabatta work well, but use whatever you have to hand)
25g red onion
20g mixed olives
40g baby plum tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
40g roasted red peppers
40g feta cheese
15ml balsamic vinegar
5ml olive oil
A small handful of basil leaves
1 Yolk Folk Hard Boiled Egg
Salt and pepper
What you need to do;
1. Cut or tear the bread into bite sized pieces and put into a bowl with the oil and balsamic vinegar. Stir to coat and allow the bread to absorb the liquids.
2. Finely slice the red onion.
3. Halve the tomatoes.
4. Drain, and cut the roasted peppers into bite sized pieces
5. Cut the feta into cubes.
6. Add the red onion, tomatoes, peppers, feta and olives to the bowl with the bread and toss together.
7. Cut the egg into four wedges and place on top of the salad.
8. Sprinkle with the basil leaves and season to taste.
If you don't have all of the ingredients but have other items in the fridge that need eating, then mix and match and see what works. Grilled asparagus, a spoonful or two of drained sweetcorn, chopped cucumber and sliced fennel all work well. And have a play with different cheeses too. The choice is endless!
If you like this summer salad you might enjoy our summery Sourdough Brunch with Red Peppers, Yolk Folk Poached Egg, Aioli & Pesto